Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Days Of Schooling. 2.


The Land Rover pulled into the farmyard, and we proceeded right to the big thatched shed where we offloaded the kudu carcass, and hung it on the slaughter pole next to the shed by its hind legs. We stowed the four tusks in a corner of the shed and covered them over with a pile of empty potato pockets. While Edward started to skin the kudu, I took the Land Rover and trailer to the pump and started to clean them washing off the blood and dust. I opened the hood and hosed down the engine and cleaned it thoroughly to make sure that no buffalo beans were stuck in some crevice to blast us when we least expected it.

Buffalo beans are the bane of a hunter's life, and the Zambezi valley was full of them. Every donga and river bed was full of this menace. These beans climb up the elephant grass and scrubby shoots always in the way of the hunter when he is creeping through the bush stalking his prey. They hang in clusters on their vines, short stubby beans almost the shape of a broad bean, and they are covered in tiny hairs which have a barb at the end. As soon as the grass stem is disturbed, a cloud of tiny hairs descend on the unsuspecting hunter and are deposited on his skin and down his neck, and soon as he starts to sweat they start to itch. Itch? No, it is a torture devised by the Devil himself. Scratching the itch only makes it worse, far worse. All sorts of remedies have been tried, calamine lotion, petrol, mud, old engine oil, and a few pharmaceutical concoctions, but none of them work. All the hunter can do is grit his teeth and wait for the burning itch to go away, and be aware of the danger for the next trip and be wider awake.




On one trip to the Valley I had two young novices with me. One was a young Italian friend named Luciano Bertonotti, and the other an English speaker named John Weinand. Luciano had a new series two Land Rover fitted with a canvas top stretched over a pipe frame. What they lacked in experience they made up for in enthusiasm. I can say that they approached the hunting scene like a bull at a gate.

We had removed the canvas top, but retained the pipe frame, and after making camp the two hunters were keen to get at the animals roaming the valley. Each wanted to bring home a buffalo bull, and each had the vision of an enormous buffalo head mounted over the bar in the den. They had new rifles of the best calibers, and had worked up their eager enthusiasm by reading articles in the men's magazines, and listening to accounts by their friends who had, or claimed to have had, experience of buffalo hunts. Consequently they were raring to go, and this was the first morning actually on the hunt. We left camp and drove along the left bank of the river; the going was easy, as the grass was quite short, and it was easy to see where we were going. Then we came across a donga running across our path into the river bank. The bottom of the ravine was full of elephant grass I was sitting at the back of the vehicle, and as we approached the donga I stood up to be able to see over the windscreen which was still erect. I had told them to remove the screen, but they knew better, and left it up. As we travelled, the windscreen caused a turbulence which sucked in all the dust thrown up by the vehicle's wheels, which was most unpleasant, and with me sitting at the back, I got the worst of it.


Here we were then ready to enter the donga, and I could see masses of buffalo beans on almost every stalk of grass. My shout of warning was lost in the urgency to crash through the donga and get to its opposite bank, and the vehicle rushed through the long grass scattering buffalo bean pods all over the place. When we reached the level ground again I was sitting on top of the frame and shouting to them, "Watch out, buffalo beans!" Too late we were through them and John turned to me and asked: "What are Buffalo Beans?" Two minutes later they found out. Luciano had stepped out of the vehicle and was starting to scratch his crotch inside his shorts, and John was scratching his neck. I also started to itch, and it grew into a burning intensity that became quite unbearable. The Zambezi River was about thirty paces to our left, and a large sand bank stretched into the water "Lets wash it off!" John shouted, and both ran for the water as if a swarm of hornets was chasing them. Diving into the shallow water they pulled off their clothes and started to rub the coarse sand over their bodies. Of course this only intensified the problem, and I ran up to them shouting for them to beware the crocodiles. They were sitting with the water reaching up to their necks, and howling at the itch.

"Stuff the crocodiles!" Luciano shouted, "At least if they catch us this burning will stop." He redoubled his efforts at rubbing the wet sand over his inflamed skin. In the meantime I rinsed their shorts in the shallows while keeping my rifle at close quarters.

"Here, put on your shorts and let us rinse out the Landie, or we will get another infestation of the pest when we carry on." They happily complied with that suggestion, and the bucket was filled and splashed over the vehicle a number of times till we decided that no more stinging barbs were present.

You can be sure that those two hunters would make sure that they proceed very carefully when they suspect the presence of Buffalo beans in their future hunting excursions.

The following day I went into town with the four tusks to my Greek contact to see if I could convert them into solid cash, and found him out. While waiting outside his premises an acquaintance, a certain Swanepoel, whom I knew as a hunter in the business of taking rich clients on hunting trips also parked outside the shop waiting for Raftopolous to arrive, and we started talking. It transpired that he had taken out an American, a medical doctor, and they had bagged an Elephant with two very small tusks, and he was hoping to buy something better for his client who was most disappointed at his bag. He could see the point of one of my tusks peeping out from the canvass cover, and asked me if I would be prepared to sell them to his client if they were a decent size.

"I have two pairs here, the one pair weighs ninety two pounds, and ninety four pounds each, but for them I want a lot of money as they are a perfectly matched pair." I casually flipped the canvas cover aside so that he could see the tusks. I could see his eyes bugging and he almost drooled all over the back of my vehicle.

"Follow me to the Ridgeway hotel, and I will let my client view them, and maybe we can give you a bit of a better price than the Greek would offer." He tried to sound a casual as possible.

I followed him to the parking lot of the hotel, and he virtually sprinted in to the foyer. I decided that I would accept at least double the price that they offered, and soon the two came hurrying out. I had turned the Landie around as if I was ready to pull out of the hotel grounds, and Swanepoel came running towards me as if I was ready to depart with his wife. I switched off the engine and waited for them to catch up to me.

As the client reached the back of the Land Rover Swanepoel flipped the canvas to one side exposing the pair of Elephant tusks, and while his client was examining them he came round to me and with a flip of his hand as if dismissing a fly, he said. "We are prepared to offer you one thousand American dollars in cash, which is double what you would get from the Greek."

"You must be joking." I retorted, and walked back to the rear and flipped the canvas back over the tusks. "For these magnificent specimens I want twelve thousand American Dollars. Your client is not the only one who will buy them. In fact I know of an English count who also did not bag a good pair, and he will beat any offer your client can make; but thanks for the offer anyway." I extracted my keys from my pocket and rattled them while sauntering around to the driver's side. Swanepoel opened and closed his mouth like a fish out of the water, and the American ran around to my window.



"Wait, wait." He took hold of my elbow. "We can work out a trade." He sounded very anxious.

"What sort of trade do you have in mind?" I looked as if I was looking through him.

"Well we have the tusks from the elephant that I shot, and I will give you ten thousand Dollars for your pair." He stared fixedly at Swanepoel.

"If the tusks you have are as bad as I think they are, then the Game Department will confiscate them as being undersize, and I will lose out anyway. No thank you very much." I again started the motor.

"I can only give ten thousand dollars cash." He said. "That is all I have here in travelers cheques. But I have a new rifle, a Weatherby Magnum in the .458 caliber which I will be prepared to add to the deal with one hundred rounds of ammunition. It is in a tooled leather case, and I will include an ammunition belt also in tooled leather."

"Right, bring out the goods, and the cheques, and if the rifle is as good as you say then we may do a deal." They ran back into the hotel and soon they emerged carrying the goods.

I could not believe my eyes. The tooled leather gun case was exquisite with carved scenes of Horses and Cowboys in relief, and lined in green baize. The belt was tooled harness back leather with leather loops to hold the cartridges. When I examined the rifle, my heart skipped a beat. It had a deep blue heavy barrel, and a glossy walnut stock, and looked as if it had just left the dealer's store.

"You will have to give me a bill of sale for this rifle." I told the doctor, "Let's go fetch your pair of tusks and offload this pair, and then the deal is done." I stowed the rifle lovingly on the front seat of the Landie, and set off after Swanepoel and his client to Swanepoel's office and storeroom where I deposited the tusks, and collected my bill of sale. From there I sped to the Police station where I saw an a friend of mine, Pat Murray, who added the rifle to my arms license without even asking one question. Even if I live to be one hundred years of age I will never again do such a sweet deal as I did that day.



My bush schooling was being shaped and polished, and I learnt not to give away my hard earned lucre. Although the poaching was starting to really pay off, I could not live with my conscience, and decided that although I was addicted to the chase, and loved the bush, indiscriminate hunting of elephants was not for me, and I should do something to rectify the matter, but what? I had to wrack my brains for an equitable solution. But that is another story.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Buffalo Bean Oupa speaks of is from the vine Mucuna, two varieties of which grow in China too and is said in some sources to come from Madagascar and in others to come from China.
I have been unable to find any local tribal names for it as yet, maybe some of our other Zambians can find that out for us!

It is the hairs on the dry seed pods that cause the infernal itch that can drive a victim mad ~ or to jump in Croc infested waters.

Here are two extracts that mention the effects of the Buffalo Bean hairs:


Buffalo Bean hairs on the toilet seats in Salisbury

Extract from Memoirs of Le Coq D'Or on the corner of Kingsway and Baker Avenue in Salisbury

I do recall on one occasion the ambulance brigade having to be called out in force, after some nameless soldier thought it might be really cool to sneak into the ladies? loos and doctor the toilet paper with buffalo bean? Damned near caused a riot! For those who don't know, buffalo bean comes from a plant that grows wild in the bush, and had been accidentally encountered by many an unhappy troopie caught with his pants down!
The fibres from this plant apparently have the same effect as itching powder? only a whole heap worse. And the only cure I ever heard of is said to come from the mud around that plant's roots ? scarce in the loo that evening! (S0! tell us about the poor victims with the "terminal itch")
Once again, best remembered by those who gave birth to the most frenetic night of dance the club had ever seen!
Source:
http://www.bedrockband.com/rhodiemusic/memories.htm
_______________________________________________________

In Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller she describes the terrors of the environment: "The hairs [of the buffalo bean] can stimulate a reaction so severe, so burning and persistent, that it has been known to send grown men mad, tearing into the bush in search of mud to alleviate the torture" (p110);
______________________________________________________

From a Botanical Point of View the Buffalo bean [Mucuna pruriens] or Velvet bean has some interesting properties:

Cheers Ron,

Buffalo Bean
www.rain-tree.com/nescafe.htm

Oupa Grysbaard said...

Thanks for that description, Ron, You describe them admirably, and better than I could have done. But whatever the description, it cannot compare with experiencing the contact, and once experienced will never be forgotten.
Smearing them over the toilet paper in the ladies loo was diabolical, and if those perps were discovered they would have been murdered a bit at a time starting you know where.

Jeff ( Va. Rebel ) said...

What a horrible lil creature the Buffalo bean ! Yep , I would have been one of the newbies afflicted too no doubt ! Who woulda ever thunk ! And how the hairs can get airborne is unreal !

I imagine those women would have yanked those rascals to pieces had they got hold to them ... and rightfully so !

Sounds like you got to be somewhat of the knowledgable trader - yer bartering sure got me excited and rooting for ya ( hold out Oupa , don't give in yet , strike for a better deal ! ).

One never knows how far to push for a better hand but you sure did admirably . You weren't the only one drooling at such a prospect ! What a prize !

( Stuff the crocodiles !! HA HA HA !! )

Great stuff !

Fishman said...

Oupa, jus stumbled accros your blog, brilliant. I have a question for you. What was your favorite caliber?

Oupa Grysbaard said...

Hi Fishman,Well I hope you will enjoy my stories, there are many more to come. You know, these days there is much debate about which caliber is the best to use and calibers matched to the different game species. That debate will go on forever.On most of my hunts I used an 8x60s Obendorf Mauser because it was all that I had then. Later, on big game like Elephants I used a 470 double barrel side by side, which I became very fond of, and which never let me down.
I also had a 30-06 which was excellent and which I ussed on the broad spectrum of game. I dropped a number of elephant and buffalo with it, and always felt it was quite adequate to the task. but I never faced a charge with it.
Personally I don't think the caliber is the issue, except where very light calibers are used against dangerous game which would amount to suicide, but the criteria is where you place your shot, and how well you know the animals you are hunting, and how well you use the rifle you hunt with.
I once used a 308 Winchester lever action which I came to hate and got rid of as I just could not come right with the thing, and sooner or later it would have let me down and I would have been in trouble.
However there are many fine calibers out there, and it is good to choose one or two and learn to use them well and then you just cannot go wrong. Thanks again for reading my blog.

Fishman said...

Oupa, I am an avid hunter, unfortunatly I missed that era and hunting has become a very expensive sport to partake in. I just always love to ask the old timers (Hope id did not offend) on what caliber laid closed to their hearts. My dad was one of the people who shot a lot of buffalo in his time in Rhodesia. And till today does not matter what we go and hunt his 416 Rigby is the one and only gun that he brings along. At a stage I owned 22 firearms and was fortunate enough to own a Holland & Holland, Farhurson and a Purdey. They where three lovely pieces just to look at. I have sold most of them cause of our draconian laws and only kept a old BRNO.22, a .303(The woodwork was carved by hand by my departed cousin) An my heaviest rifle a 9.3 x 62. Which only has one buffalo on its name. I love reading your stories, you should submit them to Magnum.

Oupa Grysbaard said...

Hi again Fishman, the 416 Rigby is a gem of a rifle. For a time I hunted with a 350 Rigby and found it to be both accurate and had excellent stopping power. My first 22 was a B.S.A. sportsman 10, and with that I took a myriad od small game. I also owned a Brno 22, but my best was a Carl Walther .22. those were all rimfires, and I also used a Walther .22 hornet centre fire.
More game has fallen in Africa to the .303, and I still own one. The last antelope I took with it was a large waterbuck bull about two years ago. The rifle I have is a Lee Enfield sporterised and is stamped 1915, but in first class condition.
The 9.3x62 is a good all rounder, and I know of many elephant taken with it. I had an occaision to shoot two with one borrowed from a friend.
At one time I owned a purdy 450\400, but it was a black powderand ammo was a problem so I sold it for thirtyfive pounds. Imagine that! I gave away a fortune.
Keep up the comments.

Anonymous said...

Ja wel Mucuna. Het orals om my huis gegroei. Ek is n plantkundige en die genus is orals teen woordig met hulle probleme. Jade Vine ens.. hang net af hoe gelukig jy is. However die een is die gevaarlikste - selfs herbarium materiaal ouer as 100 jaar dra warskuwings tekens teen die brandendende hare.